David JamesAssociate, Architect
MArch | Architect, AAA
- What’s your favourite DIALOG project?
- Kennedale Eco Station. I love how it fills a real need for Edmontonians and demonstrates sustainable design.
- What's your favourite DIALOG initiative?
- Youth Architecture Camp!
- What’s your favourite way to give back to the community?
- Volunteering – I'm the VP of the Idylwylde Community League and a founding board member of the High Level Line Society.
- What could turn any bad day into a good day?
- Five minutes for reflection, another five for meditation, and a smooth Bourbon.
David joined DIALOG in 2005 and plays a key role on our design team. He leads teams across all aspects of programming, design, production, and contract administration, and flexes his project management expertise so that coordination between all parties is maintained daily. As a fifth-generation Edmontonian, the idea of contributing to the design culture of his hometown is a dream come true.
At the age of fourteen, local architect Gene Dub visited David's classroom, and this inspired him to pursue a career in architecture. David is devoted to planting the same seeds of architectural interest for youth. Recognizing a lack of design career resources for youth in Edmonton, he created and orchestrated the Youth Architecture Camp, an initiative that brought local high school students to the studio for a week of credited workshops on design-related topics.
David is as keen about home renovation and design as he is about city design. In his free time, he enjoys doing fine detailing work and building bespoke furniture for his 1950s home.
I’m regularly inspired by the impact of design on our community and its potential to create positive change.David James
- Master of Architecture Dalhousie University
- Bachelor of Environmental Design University of Manitoba