Brett HotsonAssociate, Architect
BA | MArch | Architect AIBC | LEED® AP
- Whose work are you most impressed by?
- My first DIALOG integrated project experience was working with Michele Sigurdson and her interior design team on the VPL / YWCA project, and I've had the pleasure of working with her many times since. Her ability to communicate and work with diverse client groups to achieve an engaging design concept is a major asset to a project.
- If you could work a ‘day in the life’ of another discipline at DIALOG, whose would it be?
- I've always been fascinated with mechanical systems. As an architect, we are coordinating with these systems extensively inside our buildings. Our mechanical people do great work here, and so I'd be happy to live a day in the life of a mechanical engineer.
- What's one 'pro tip' you live by?
- If you say you're going to do something, then do it.
With over a decade of experience on our team, Brett plays a key role in the successful design and management of a broad scope of projects, including higher education, civic, and mixed-use residential buildings.
Brett has steered numerous complex, multidisciplinary teams through the design process since joining us in 2008, and he excels at integrating valuable stakeholder input to create successful project outcomes. Brett brings considerable enthusiasm to the table while coordinating with clients, consultants, and stakeholders at every stage of a project.
Brett has a keen ability to develop holistic design solutions. His most recent project work includes student residences for both Simon Fraser University and North Island College, a significant upgrade to West Vancouver's heritage Municipal Hall, and a new home for the Vancouver Public Library (VPL) Strathcona branch in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside (complete with YWCA Metro Vancouver housing).
Currently, Brett is working with the University of Victoria's civil engineering program on a new research and teaching facility that will become the greenest civil engineering program in Canada.
Brett's favourite project to date as a DIALOGer is the Calvin Kruk Center for the Arts, where he was able to help inject new life into Dawson Creek's downtown core with this transformative community building. An active part of our social community, you'll be sure to find Brett and his family at DIALOG's annual Vancouver baseball game event.
The ability to play a small part in shaping significant projects for communities is what it's all about!Brett Hotson
- Master of Architecture University of Toronto
- Bachelor of Arts University of Victoria