- Where do you find inspiration?
- There is nothing more fulfilling than seeing people using and enjoying the projects I’ve helped create. That kind of human connection and helping people live in dignity is why I do this work.
- What’s one item you won’t leave home without?
- I always have a Murado Black Warrior Pencil handy, my weapon of choice for sketching and creating.
- What's one 'pro tip' you live by?
- There’s two: Be serious, but don’t take yourself too seriously. And a quote by Maya Angelou “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Amit is an architect and city planner deeply committed to making inclusive cities of opportunity and human connection. Motivated by his vision of urban places that promote climate resiliency and social equity, Amit has led the design of diverse complex city-shaping projects throughout his career. At DIALOG, Amit collaborates with clients, colleagues and community members on projects ranging from urban design guidelines for gently incorporating density into existing neighbourhoods; mixed-use and mixed-income transit oriented places; social housing for vulnerable communities; an aging campus for a spectrum of seniors; a student housing master plan; a tactical urbanism concept for a laneway; and high density residential projects that help expand housing choices in constrained markets. Amit brings a thoughtful attitude, creative problem solving, team leadership, great communication, a visionary perspective, and a balanced approach to every design challenge.
Viewing city-building as a holistic effort that requires the careful and creative integration of the public realm, buildings, infrastructure, programming, and landscape to make loved and valued places, Amit brings expertise in urban design and planning, architectural design, community engagement, storytelling, design strategy and process, and team management to every project. Through the facilitation of open, positive, and constructive conversations, Amit helps the best ideas rise to the surface in a compelling, engaging and respectful way. He believes that great cities are about starting from a place of optimism, building meaningful connections between people, and providing ways for everyone to better their lives through educational and work opportunities. Design is one of many tools to make these things happen, and Amit is happy to provide leadership and contribute to any efforts that help reach these goals.
Amit’s ideas and award-winning projects have been shared widely through speaking engagements, interviews, and publications. Having worked in the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, St. Louis and Johannesburg, Amit believes in design approaches rooted in place. He has won or been on the winning teams for several international design competitions and has served as a Design Advisor at the Mayors’ Institute on City Design, as well as the national board president of Architects Designers Planners for Social Responsibility.
- Bachelor of Arts, Architecture Washington University School of Architecture
- Master of Architecture, Master of City Planning University of California College of Environmental Design