- What's your favourite DIALOG initiative?
- One thing we do that's especially important is our carbon action plan. It's not just the work that we do but the way that we operate that shows our commitment to the environment. Our Carbon Offset Initiative in partnership with Community Forest International (CFI), is a great example of this. We manage our carbon output in a sustainable way by working with CFI to measure our carbon impact, reduce it to the greatest extent possible, and offset our footprint by purchasing tracts of forest in Canada.
- What conversation topic could you never resist?
- How do we make decisions based on long-term thinking? I think this topic is even more important now, given how quickly the world is changing.
- Do you have a passion project outside of work?
- My tree farm near Kingston, ON. When I got married 25 years ago, my wife and I bought a piece of barren land and started planting trees. We loved seeing them grow over the years, so much so that we just kept on planting more trees!
Jim joined our team in 2006 and is an accomplished architect and partner. As DIALOG Chair, Jim's mission is to build a purpose-driven practice founded on great design. Ask Jim what defines great design, and he’ll tell you it comes down to one thing: Great Architecture and Design must solve problems. It must meaningfully contribute to the communities it serves and the environment we all share. As design professionals we not only have an opportunity to contribute, we have a responsibility to contribute. Jim is a big-picture thinker by his very nature. He believes the longevity of the built environment and its impact on the natural environment are always core considerations for project work.
Jim is a spirited advocate of our interdisciplinary approach and he believes that the design profession must be inclusive in its approach. That we are at our best when we embrace change, welcome diverse perspectives. He is skilled at bringing together the right combination of talented designers to create exceptional spaces. Weaving together his many talents and passions, he is a team builder who works by achieving consensus, effectively motivating team members, and dealing with issues head-on.
Changing the world with great design isn't an easy task. It is an extraordinary opportunity to realize our greatest ambition: making a positive, future-oriented, social, and environmental impact in a rapidly changing world.
Jim takes great pride in our diverse and collaborative culture. As a pragmatic and disciplined senior leader always striving for excellence, Jim's leadership has helped us carry the title of one of Deloitte's Best Managed Companies since 2017.
The wellbeing of our communities is inextricably linked to the wellbeing of the environment. We can't have healthy communities without a healthy planet.Jim Anderson
- Bachelor of Architecture Carleton University
- Executive Program Graduate School of Business, Stanford University