- What’s your favourite DIALOG project?
- I have been lucky to be part of so many incredible works, but the first among favourites would be Winspear Centre. Edmonton’s hugely successful concert hall was designed and built on a seemingly impossible budget by a DIALOG and PCL team.
- What conversation topic could you never resist?
- I'm a shameless promoter of the unique opportunity DIALOG offers all our team members, including the opportunity to make an important contribution to our various communities.
- Do you have a passion project outside of work?
- I've become a passionate painter; learning large format abstract painting from some of Alberta’s accomplished artists and critics.
Doug is a Partner Emeritus and the past Chair of DIALOG’s Partnership. Doug’s predecessor firm merged with DIALOG (then Cohos Evamy) in 1987. During Doug’s tenure as Chair, the firm grew from an Alberta firm of less than 200 people to a national firm of more than 700 people and four studios across Canada. Today, Doug provides support to the firm's leadership team, largely focused on teaching, mentoring and problem-solving.
In the community, Doug has served roles in support of growth and change in Edmonton’s downtown and in the architecture profession. He is actively involved in many initiatives of the Consulting Architects of Alberta and co-chairs its Procurement and Contracts Committee, while also serving as a member of Mayor Iveson’s Business Roundtable.
With an infectious passion for DIALOG and the great work we do, Doug has a true sense of pride for how we have been able to transform communities for the better.
I love to see our projects used, loved and appreciated by our community. And I love to see our teams working together to make such inspiring work.Doug McConnell
- Bachelor of Architecture University of Toronto